Welcome to the Myth of the 20th Century. The podcast airs on Fridays.
— Brought to you by —
Adam Smith, Hank Oslo, Hans Lander, and Nick Mason.
1901 – oil development begins in Iraq under Ottoman and British guidance
1915-1917 – Sykes-Picot Agreement, dividing the Middle East under British and French rule
1937 – Saddam Hussein born Tikrit, Iraq
1941 – Saddam’s uncle adopts him
1945 – World War II ends.
1958 – Baathist coup by army officers lead by Abd al-Karim Qasim against King Faisal of the Hashemite House
1959 – Saddam attempts to assassinate General Qasim with his commrades, but ultimately fails and goes on the run
1963 – coup against Qassim launched by Baathist partisans and military dissidents. Saddam returns to Iraq and begins using CIA resources to execute and torture Communist partisans in Baghdad.
1963 – A quasi bloodless coup removing Baathist officers is undertaken by General Arif.
1964 – Saddam imprisoned
1964 – Iraq National Oil Company (INOC) formed with Iraqi state backing after the ousting of pro-Soviet elements from the Baghdad government
1966 – Saddam escapes prison
1968 – bloodless coup launched by Ahmed Hassan al-Bakr & Saddam removing Abdul Rahman Arif. Saddam becomes deputy president after some time in shadows settling scores (e.g., shooting lawyer who had refused to release party funds to him earlier)
1979 – Saddam assumes full control of Iraq by declaring himself President, followed by a series of purges to eliminate dissent in the Baathist Regime
1979 – The Iranian Revolution is undertaken against US allies in the Islamic Republic of Iran by Shia fundamentalists.
1980-1988 – The Iran-Iraq War
1990 – The Oil Shock of 1990 nearly doubles oil prices as a result of disruption from the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait
1990-1991 – The Gulf War is fought between Iraq and an international coalition led by the USA, leading to Iraqi forces being expelled from Kuwait after a month long air campaign and 100 hour ground operation
2003 – US President George W. Bush leads a small coalition of forces to fully invade Iraq
2003 – Saddam Hussein is found alive in a spider-hole near the city of Tikrit
2006 – Saddam Hussein is executed after being found guilty of crimes against humanity by a special court in Iraq
– Rumsfeld meets Saddam Hussein (1983) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42oejmpkgw
– Iraq Economic Data (1989-2003), https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/general-reports-1/iraq_wmd_2004/chap2_annxD.html
– April Glaspie Transcript (1990) – http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/ARTICLE5/april.html
– Bravo Two Zero, McNab (1993)
– Spider’s Web: The Secret History of how the White House Illegally Armed Iraq, Friedman (1993)
– Cheney on Iraq (1994) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENbElb5-xY
– Zabibah and the King, Hussein (2000)
– Rumsfeld ‘offered help to Saddam’, Borger (2002) – https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/dec/31/iraq.politics
– The Iraqi Economy under Saddam Hussein: Development or Decline, Mehdi (2003) – http://www.mepc.org/iraqi-economy-under-saddam-hussein-development-or-decline
– Debts of Saddam Hussein, PBS (2003) – http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east-jan-june03-debt_5-6/
– The Saddam Tapes: The Inner Workings of a Tyrant’s Regime, 1978–2001, Palkki and Stout (2011)
– The Carlyle Group (2012) – https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2012/10/03/david-rubenstein-and-the-carlyle-group-the-kings-of-capital/#200011557e09
– CIA Files Prove America Helped Saddam as He Gassed Iran, Harris and Aid, (2013) http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/
– Debriefing the President, Nixon (2016)
– My Iraq Experience, Varg Vikernes (2017) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRATeUEBWJQ
– “Greater Israel”: The Zionist Plan for the Middle East, Shanak (2017) – http://www.globalresearch.ca/greater-israel-the-zionist-plan-for-the-middle-east/5324815
– America had no legal or constitutional right to be involved in any Mideast Wars since WW2, James (2017) – https://jamesfetzer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/preston-james-disturbing-truth-about.html
– Myth Of The 20th Century – Episode 3: The Iranian Revolution, Adam Smith, Hank Oslo and Nick Mason, (2017) – http://www.socialmatter.net/2017/01/20/myth-20th-century-episode-3-iranian-revolution/
– Saddam Hussein’s Very Public Purge – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUktJbp2Ug
– Saddam Hussein – The Truth – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFWwKDnqtg
The Myth Of The 20th Century
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below