Welcome to the Myth of the 20th Century. The podcast airs on Fridays.
— Brought to you by —
Adam Smith, Hank Oslo, Hans Lander, and Nick Mason.
Hollywood – America’s beacon to the world at home and abroad. Who controls it, and what they say – has been integral to the United States’ sociopolitical culture since the movies became a major American pastime in the Great Depression. During the Second World War and shortly thereafter during the Cold War, the writers, producers, and directors in Hollywood received close scrutiny from Washington DC, most notably by actively collaborating with producing war propaganda after America’s entry into WWII, and then later bringing nearly 300 Hollywood notables before Congress to testify as to the communist influence in the movie industry. Those that refused to answer the infamous question ‘Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?’ became known as the Hollywood Ten, and were sentenced in 1950 to 1 year in federal prison for contempt of Congress. The day after the House of Representatives voted to cite the Ten for contempt, film industry executives issued the Waldorf Statement, stating they would not employ anyone known to be Communists or anyone refusing to swear otherwise. This then became known as the infamous blacklist, which later reached iconic status in American popular culture as a group unjustly persecuted for their political beliefs. Yet the motives behind the blacklist are less clear, as were the those of the Ten, as the subsequent decades have revealed other forces at work beyond those most commonly cited.
1915 – ‘The Birth of a Nation’ released to American theaters, captivating audiences, becoming one of the most controversial films of all time
1917 – Russian Revolution by Bolshevik Communists, headed by an overwhelmingly Jewish leadership destroys the Czarist monarchy
1919 – The Overman Committee is established to investigate growing Bolshevik activity in the United States.
1910s-1920s – Establishment of 8 major film studios by primarily Eastern European Jewish immigrants, transforms the US film industry. The studios were 20th Century Fox, RKO Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Universal Pictures, Columbia Pictures, and United Artists.
1922 – The Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America (MPPDA) is formed by Will H. Hays, a Protestant. The MPPDA would later become the Motion Picture Association of America in 1945.
1927-1928 – The advent of “talkies”, or films with integrated sound elements, drive immense demand in the growing American middle class for Hollywood entertainment.
1930 – The Fish Committee is established to investigate foreign Communist infiltration of the US government.
1935 – V.J. Jerome, Cultural Commissar of the CPUSA, travels to Hollywood to develop a branch for conversion and recruitment of Hollywood professionals.
1937 – A major leader of the Hollywood Communists, John Howard Lawson, travels out to Hollywood on the orders of the CPUSA.
1939 – The USSR invades Finland, prompting the Hollywood Anti-Nazi League to rebrand and inadvertently support the Third Reich.
1944 – ‘Song of Russia’, an overtly pro-Soviet film, is released to the American public, developed in part by several crypto-Communists and members of the Hollywood Ten.
1947-1948 – The US Congress, with what later becomes known as HUAC, begins deeply investigating Hollywood and suspected collusion with Communists, calling forth dozens of high profile individuals to testify. Later that year and into early 1948, the Hollywood Ten are found in contempt of Congress and subsequently fined and “blacklisted” from the industry.
1950 – The Hollywood Ten are sentenced to 1 year in federal prison for contempt of Congress
– The Hollywood Ten (1950) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taancRcLQ8o
– Double Lives: Spies and Writers in the Secret Soviet War of Ideas Against the West, Koch (1993)
– Two Hundred Years Together, Solzhenitsyn (2002)
– The Jewish Century, Slezkine (2006)
– Who runs Hollywood? C’mon, Stein (2008) – http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/19/opinion/oe-stein19
– Nikita Khrushchev Goes to Hollywood, Carlson (2009) – http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/nikita-khrushchev-goes-to-hollywood-30668979/
– Republican Party Animal, Cole (2015)
– Hollywood Traitors: Blacklisted Screenwriters – Agents of Stalin, Allies of Hitler, Ryskind (2015)
– Lights, Camera – Treason?, Weiner (2015) – http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/lights-cameratreason/
– How Red Was My Hollywood, Stanley (2015) – http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/how-red-was-my-hollywood/
– Documents expose how Hollywood promotes war on behalf of the Pentagon, CIA and NSA, Secker (2017) – https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/exclusive-documents-expose-direct-us-military-intelligence-influence-on-1-800-movies-and-tv-shows-36433107c307
– Hollywood and Communism / Socialism, Billingsly – http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=369
– The Communist Hollywood 10 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EF52ZASPNc
– John Wayne on the Hollywood Blacklist – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR9nIMOrqy4
– Hollywood Communists! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ-dKru9RWM
– Jay’s Analysis – James Bond – https://jaysanalysis.com/tag/james-bond/
– Hollywood Ten list – https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/allan-h-ryskind/stalinist-ten-true-story-about-communists -movie-industry
– The Hollywood Ten, Secker – http://www.spyculture.com/clandestime-034-the-hollywood-ten/
– How The Jews Created Hollywood – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAZqLnbRhw
– Hollywoodism, Red Ice – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwgLczzn5gk
– An Empire of Their Own How the Jews Invented Hollywood – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaGBcHo9DI
The Myth Of The 20th Century
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below